This is an IMMEDIATE CALL TO ACTION!
Kenai River Sportfishing Association supporters:
We ask that you read this important update and take action against the appointment of Vince Webster to the Alaska Board of Fisheries by the Governor.
Vince Webster’s appointment needs confirmation by the Legislature, with a vote coming Monday, April 8. We need your assistance in voicing opposition to his confirmation. KRSA does not support the appointment of Vince Webster to the Alaska Board of Fisheries for the following reasons:
• He directly participated in precariously and unnecessarily lowering the escapement goal of Kenai River king salmon during a time of record low abundance and uncertain future production.
• As an experienced member on the BOF, Mr. Webster was tasked to co-chair a Cook Inlet king salmon task force. Its mission was essentially to identify the best mix of fishing opportunity during times of low king salmon abundance and the best means of attaining the escapement goal. Unfortunately, the final work product of the task force failed. The process he was tasked to oversee ended in deadlock.
• The failure of the task force rests in large part with Mr. Webster. A canceled December meeting wasted valuable time that could have been used to address ADFG processes to establish escapement goals. Subsequent meetings offered no forward progress and squandered valuable time, resources and energy of participants.
• Subsequently at the March BOF meeting, Mr. Webster led the charge to take the easy way out by accepting a risky, lowered escapement goal.
• Public perception is that the overriding agenda of Mr. Webster is to put commercial set netters back in the water during periods of low abundance.
• When a new board member tried to bring up discussion points on such fishery conservation issues, Mr. Webster led the fight to deny the airing of this important topic.
The resulting outcome of Mr. Webster’s actions puts at risk one of the signature king salmon fisheries in Alaska. The message from this Webster-led decision appears to be to lower the goal in order to use up the additional 6,000 fish as a cushion before implementing any restrictions on commercial set netters. Such an approach will almost certainly guarantee a spawning escapement that will be one of the lowest ever on record.
The Legislature has a trust responsibility to manage the state’s fishery resources and delegates its management authority to BOF. With this authority comes responsibility for the BOF to put conservation first. Before you can manage and allocate, you must first ensure conservation; Mr. Webster has failed in this duty
It now falls on the shoulders of the Legislature to repair this breach of public trust. We encourage all supporters of the sport and personal use fisheries to urge Legislators to vote “NO” on the reconfirmation of Mr. Webster to the Alaska Board of Fisheries.
We don’t have much time. Please contact your legislator immediately and tell them “NO VINCE WEBSTER!” Attached is list of emails for all Alaska legislators. Email and voice your objections to the confirmation of Vince Webster.
Kenai River Sportfishing Association
Governor Sean Parnell email@example.com
Senator Click Bishop Senator.Click.Bishop@akleg.gov
Senator John Coghill Senator.John.Coghill@akleg.gov
Senator Mike Dunleavy Senator.Mike.Dunleavy@akleg.gov
Senator Fred Dyson Senator.Fred.Dyson@akleg.gov
Senator Dennis Egan Senator.Dennis.Egan@akleg.gov
Senator Johnny Ellis Senator.Johnny.Ellis@akleg.gov
Senator Anna Fairclough Senator.Anna.Fairclough@akleg.gov
Senator Hollis French Senator.Hollis.French@akleg.gov
Senator Berta Gardner Senator.Berta.Gardner@akleg.gov
Senator Cathy Giessel Senator.Cathy.Giessel@akleg.gov
Senator Lyman Hoffman Senator.Lyman.Hoffman@akleg.gov
Senator Charlie Huggins Senator.Charlie.Huggins@akleg.gov
Senator Pete Kelly Senator.Pete.Kelly@akleg.gov
Senator Lesil McGuire Senator.Lesil.McGuire@akleg.gov
Senator Kevin Meyer Senator.Kevin.Meyer@akleg.gov
Senator Peter Micciche Senator.Peter.Micciche@akleg.gov
Senator Donny Olson Senator.Donald.Olson@akleg.gov
Senator Bert Stedman Senator.Bert.Stedman@akleg.gov
Senator Gary Stevens Senator.Gary.Stevens@akleg.gov
Senator Bill Wielechowski Senator.Bill.Wielechowski@akleg.gov
Rep. Alan Austerman Representative.Alan.Austerman@akleg.gov
Rep. Mike Chenault Representative.Mike.Chenault@akleg.gov
Rep. Mia Costello Representative.Mia.Costello@akleg.gov
Rep. Harriet Drummond Representative.Harriet.Drummond@akleg.gov
Rep. Bryce Edgmon Representative.Bryce.Edgmon@akleg.gov
Rep. Eric Feige Representative.Eric.Feige@akleg.gov
Rep. Neal Foster Representative.Neal.Foster@akleg.gov
Rep. Les Gara Representative.Les.Gara@akleg.gov
Rep. Lynn Gattis Representative.Lynn.Gattis@akleg.gov
Rep. Max Gruenberg, Jr. Representative.Max.Gruenberg@akleg.gov
Rep. David Guttenberg Representative.David.Guttenberg@akleg.gov
Rep. Mike Hawker Representative.Mike.Hawker@akleg.gov
Rep. Bob Herron Representative.Bob.Herron@akleg.gov
Rep. Pete Higgins Representative.Pete.Higgins@akleg.gov
Rep. Lindsey Holmes Representative.Lindsey.Holmes@akleg.gov
Rep. Shelley Hughes Representative.Shelley.Hughes@akleg.gov
Rep. Doug Isaacson Representative.Doug.Isaacson@akleg.gov
Rep. Craig Johnson Representative.Craig.Johnson@akleg.gov
Rep. Andrew Josephson Representative.Andrew.Josephson@akleg.gov
Rep. Scott Kawasaki Representative.Scott.Kawasaki@akleg.gov
Rep. Wes Keller Representative.Wes.Keller@akleg.gov
Rep. Beth Kerttula Representative.Beth.Kerttula@akleg.gov
Rep. Gabrielle LaDoux Representative.Gabrielle.LeDoux@akleg.gov
Rep. Bob Lynn Representative.Bob.Lynn@akleg.gov
Rep. Charisse Millett Representative.Charisse.Millett@akleg.gov
Rep. Cathie Munoz Representative.Cathy.Munoz@akleg.gov
Rep. BenjaminNageak Representative.Benjamin.Nageak@akleg.gov
Rep. Mark Neuman Representative.Mark.Neuman@akleg.gov
Rep. Kurt Olson Representative.Kurt.Olson@akleg.gov
Rep. Lance Pruitt Representative.Lance.Pruitt@akleg.gov
Rep. Lora Reinbold Representative.Lora.Reinbold@akleg.gov
Rep. Dan Saddler Representative.Dan.Saddler@akleg.gov
Rep. Paul Seaton Representative.Paul.Seaton@akleg.gov
Rep. Bill Stoltze Representative.Bill.Stoltze@akleg.gov
Rep. Geran Tarr Representative.Geran.Tarr@akleg.gov
Rep. Steve Thompson Representative.Steve.Thompson@akleg.gov
Rep. Chris Tuck Representative.Chris.Tuck@akleg.gov
Rep. Peggy Wilson Representative.Peggy.Wilson@akleg.gov
Rep. Tammy Wilson Representative.Tammie.Wilson@akleg.gov